Sunday, February 5, 2012

And a midlife crisis is born...about this blog

So I turned 30 and the sky didn't open, thunder didn't roll, the world was not engulfed by the hellish flames of Armageddon and my breasts did not fall to my ankles. I was convinced in the months following my 29th birthday that on the day that I turned 30 my life as I knew it would end as I would be compelled to join the legions of bitter old maids who lived and died alone in apartments smelling of PVC sofa covers.

But a funny thing happened in March (of 2010). As I was sitting in my cubicle, festering in the monotony of endless paperwork and thinking about how uncomfortable it is to sit with a roll of fat over my pants, it dawned on me. (It, what it?)

It dawned on me that I have a choice to make, either approach this birthday resigning myself to fade into the twilight of mid-age or wake up and change my life and outlook. Seems like quite a dramatic epiphany to have at the office, but, all the same, there it was.

I watched my father eat himself into diabetes and strokes. I'm watching my brother head down the same path. I looked in the mirror (figuratively) and saw a woman with a 206 pound frame drowning in pre-diabetes and enslaved by an obsession with eating yummy sugary things. (And if you think 206 pounds is big but not too bad, consider that seven years ago I was looking in the mirror to a 250 pound tub.)

Right then, I made a decision. I refused to turn 30 and be fat. I promised myself that by my 30th birthday, that I'd be in the normal weight range for the first time in my life. Now I'm 31 and in the best shape of my life.


That's how my Bucket List started. At that point, I hadn't realized that that's what was developing, just that I didn't want to turn 30 regretting that I hadn't lost the weight.

As the pounds came off and my fitness level increased, I started trying new things. I began to feel alive, amazing, capable. A jolt of healthy kicked in. The adventurous fire that I felt when I was 22 and 23 came back full force and I found myself thinking of all of the things that I've always wanted to do but never tried.

That might be why there are so many fitness-related items on my bucket list. I've done most everything that weight does not impact - I've traveled Europe. I've fallen in love with a stranger. I've performed slam poetry. You name it, if it's a bit weird, but didn't require physical prowess, I've probably done it.

So one day I started thinking of all of the things that I really wanted to do before I die and wrote them down. Of course, I've bastardized this idea from a movie, but hopefully it comes together well as a personal blog.

On this blog I'll keep track of my progress in making it through my bucket list. I'll also throw in the occasional rant about freelance writing, things going on in my life or random topics that peak my interest. We'll take some time now and again to celebrate other people's achievements and reflect on things - after all I am a woman over 30 and what would be a woman's blog without the occasional gossiping or rant?

Thanks for reading and for giving your support.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story. You look great and no sign of nipples at the knees. Keep up tackling that list!

    ReplyDelete