Thursday, February 23, 2012

On faith...

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
    - Dr Martin Luther King Jr

Do you ever think about regret? Regret is borne of guilt for the unaccomplished, helpless or hopeless. We regret because we're ashamed of weakness. We feel weak because we don't believe in ourselves. In the end, we wind up regretting everything that we never accomplished because we carry guilt for never having the faith to jump head first into the impossible.

Others wallow in regret from the shame of failure. Please don't let my weaknesses shine through to the pack! I'll look stupid if I dance like that! I'll never finish a marathon - so why try?

Yesterday I heard of a shocking death of a young man. He wasn't a celebrity or anyone "important." And yet, I heard of this tragedy from not one, but from three people who don't know each other but who each knew and were touched personally by this young man while they were alive.

This young man, at the age of 24, was struck by a train. Did he do something stupid? Yes. He was drinking and hanging out with a buddy on the top of the train car. The train started to move. He fell off. Absolutely tragic.



From this horrible story, I am reminded of 2 things.

It's not what makes you a sensation that touches people. It's who you are. Not one person who recounted the story to me yesterday talked to me of this young man in terms of his stupidity. They talked to me about how great a guy he was. They told me that how he was full of life, how he was a great person.

I was also reminded that life truly is short. While I would never condone doing something as reckless as this man unfortunately has done, I am at a loss for how a life can be so easily broken. We're not guaranteed tomorrow. There is no 'undo' button or eraser that will let you go back and get it right.

Take hold on what you want in life. Take a strip of paper and write down everything you've always wanted to do but never thought you could. Start doing them today. Do not take tomorrow for granted.

Even if you don't know where you're going, take the leap of faith that what you want to accomplish or overcome is within your grasp.