Friday, March 9, 2012

Bucket List Progress Update: Smoking, Tough Mudder

"You have to risk going too far to discover just how far you can really go."   - TS Elliot

Making Changes

I'm tired of trying to quit smoking. I am not going to die a smoker.

Quitting is on my Bucket List and I will am resolved to doing it. Effective tomorrow morning, I am a non-smoker.

My plan?

The Patch, obsessive eating of (vegan) mints and extreme fitness and random exercises to distract me from cravings.

Bucket List Progress: Quit Date Set.




Taking Chances

My bucket list is about doing all of the things that I never thought I could do. Much of it is related to physical activities, things that I missed out on while I was so out of shape that I spent more time waiting to eat than living my life.

One thing that absolutely terrifies me is Tough Mudder. I know that I am in great shape, but 12+ miles with 20+ military style obstacles. These aren't your typical fun little adventure race obstacles. These insane challenges include not only a dreaded vertical rope climb and jumping off very high structures into freezing water but also things like wires charged with 50,000 volts.

This event is known for its ability to break participants. And I want to beat it.

I don't expect to win or even place for the World's Toughest Mudder. I want to complete it knowing that I gave it my all and proud of my effort.

On that note, it still terrifies me. I signed up for the October event in Death Valley (Tough Mudder Las Vegas). Then I realized that I was using the delay as an excuse. During one of those midnight epiphanies that we all have on too much caffeine, I decided that I needed to eliminate the wait and just do it.

Instead of giving myself 7 more months of training, I'm giving myself 1 month. I changed my registration from Las Vegas in October to Michigan/Ohio in April.

Bucket List Progress: Tough Mudder Registration Confirmed.